Do you work in a supporting capacity for a measurement company, a manufacturer or supplier of measuring instruments, or a calibration laboratory? Are you regularly faced with questions related to metrology? A better understanding of measurement will help you improve your performance.
This training introduces you to the basic concepts and jargon, providing many everyday examples by way of practical illustration. The teaching material is ideal as a reference.
The course addresses the following subjects:
- What is measurement and why would you want to do it? Expressing results of measurement
- Jargon: reliability, reproducibility, accuracy, traceability, convertibility, calibration, verification, adjustment
- Seven basic units (including kilogram, second and metre)
- The SI system of units, derived units and the relationships between units
- Measurement uncertainty: can you believe your results?
- Systematic and random errors
- Certified measurement and laboratory accreditation
- Structure: sensor, converter, measurement display
- Reading off: digital, analogue
- Disruptive influences: environment, drift, subject of measurement
- Measurement and calibration frequency, number of measurements, how to deal with errors
- Handover, maintenance and repair